You'll learn how to:
What you'll get
- 5+ hours of audio lessons
Everything you need to know to buy your first home.
When listening isn’t an option, dig into this text-based PDF.
- Glossary of terms
Get up to speed on real estate terminology.
- Curated resources
Save time searching. We’ve collected the best resources for you.
- Lesson summaries
Be reminded of the key things you’ve learned via email.
- Buyers' checklists
Be prepared for each stage of the home-buying process.
Experts in this course
- Tess ViglandTess Vigeland is a veteran journalist, and a well-known voice to millions of American radio listeners. She spent 11 years as an anchor for NPR's Marketplace, including six hosting the personal finance show Marketplace Money. She is the author of “Leap: Leaving A Job With No Plan B to Find the Career and Life You Really Want,” and also writes for The New York Times and The Guardian, among numerous other publications.
- Ilona BrayIlona Bray is an author, former attorney, and legal editor at Nolo, where she covers real estate, immigration law, and nonprofit fundraising.
- Tammy WittrenTammy Wittren is a mortgage banker with 25-plus years of lending experience. She is the Producing Branch Manager of Guild Mortgage, a nationally-recognized mortgage banking company with more than 250 branches throughout the United States.
- Anne YooAnne Yoo is a real estate agent with over 25 years of experience. Since 2005, she’s averaged $35 million in residential sales annually.
- Ilyce GlinkIlyce Glink is a nationally-syndicated real estate columnist and the author of 14 books on money and real estate, including the best-selling 100 Questions Every First-Time Homebuyer Should Ask. She’s also the CEO of Best Money Moves.
- Michele Bowler-FailingMichele Bowler-Failing is a real estate principal broker. She works with first-time homebuyers, downsizers, and people relocating to Portland, Oregon.
- Thomas JuonThomas (T.J.) Juon is a general contractor specializing in residential remodels using salvaged materials. He is the owner of Four Hammers Construction based in Portland, Oregon.
- Carrie GrossCarrie Gross is a realtor with a background in higher education. She has been working with her family real estate team since 2012, serving as the principal broker.
- Nicole CurraNicole Curra is a real estate broker with a background in marketing and advertising. She specializes in educating and guiding first-time homebuyers through the process.
- Christine TomlinsonChristine Tomlinson is a retired real estate agent with more than 10 years of experience counseling first-time homebuyers.
- Liz WestonLiz Weston is an award-winning columnist for NerdWallet, a certified financial planner, and author of multiple books, including the best-selling Your Credit Score: How to Improve the 3-Digit Number That Shapes Your Financial Future.
- Brendon DeSimoneBrendon DeSimone is a real estate expert with over a decade of experience. He reports on the industry in a weekly syndicated column for Zillow and has published a book called Next Generation Real Estate: New Rules for Smarter Home Buying & Faster Selling.
- Lee SellickLee Sellick is a home inspector with 25 years of experience examining homes for buyers and sellers. He also conducts training courses for new inspectors and real estate agents.
- Mandi MillerMandi Miller is a senior escrow officer, with over 25 years of experience in residential, commercial, new construction, and condominium transaction closings. She also serves as a branch manager for Lawyers Title, a title insurance and escrow service company.
- Caitlin JergerCaitlin (Cat) Jerger is a loan officer at Academy Mortgage Corporation, with more than 6 years of experience helping homebuyers through the loan process.
- Vince KingstonVince Kingston is a mortgage broker and real estate investor. He specializes in assisting first-time buyers and developing refinance strategies for debt consolidation.
- Louis BarajasLouis Barajas is a certified financial planner and a nationally-recognized expert in finance and business. He’s the author of several books including “My Street Money: A Street-Level View of Managing Your Money From the Heart to the Bank.”
- 01IntroductionMeet your host, former Marketplace anchor Tess Vigeland, and preview the lessons you’ll learn from our experts.
- 02Why homeownershipAre you ready to become a homeowner?
- 03When it’s timeHow to know when it’s time to take the plunge.
- 04Credit scoresUnderstand how this perplexing number can affect your ability to buy a home and learn how to improve it.
- 05Mortgage financingLearn what it takes to get preapproved and prequalified for a mortgage.
- 06Saving for a down paymentLearn how to save for a down payment.
- 07Choosing where to liveFind the neighborhood that’s right for you.
- 08Making an offerUnderstand the offer process and learn how to make your offer stand out.
- 09Home inspectionLearn why these evaluations are a crucial step in the homebuying process.
- 10Title and escrowGet to know the escrow process and learn why a clean title matters.
- 11Putting it all togetherExplore the entire process of homebuying, from initial research to signing on the dotted line.
- 12Online real estateHow to use online resources to give yourself an edge in the process.
- 13RenovationTurn your house into a home.
- 14Getting the keysHear what it’s like to finally get the keys to your very own home.
Invite a friend, free.
Know someone who’d love to take this course too? When you buy a course, you can invite a friend to take the course with you for free.