Your enrollment supports tipped workers and other service professionals. A portion of the proceeds for this course support the nonprofit One Fair Wage, a non-profit that advocates for the end of tipped minimum wages.
You'll learn how to:
What you'll get
- 2+ hours of audio lessons
Learn to cook and eat healthfully and sustainably.
- Companion e-textbook
When listening isn’t an option, dig into this text-based PDF.
- Curated resources
Save time searching. We’ve collected the best resources for you.
- Lesson summaries
Be reminded of the key things you’ve learned via email.
- Mark Bittman's recipes
A collection of Mark Bittman's favorite recipes.
- One Fair Wage
Your purchase directly supports One Fair Wage.
Experts in this course
- Mark BittmanMark Bittman is the author of over 30 acclaimed books on food and cooking, including the #1 New York Times bestseller, VB6: Eat Vegan Before 6:00 to Lose Weight and Restore Your Health . . . for Good. He is also the founder of Heated and The Mark Bittman Newsletter. For more than two decades his popular and compelling stories on food and cooking appeared in the New York Times. Bittman has starred in multiple television series, including Showtime’s Emmy-winning Years of Living Dangerously. He has appeared on TODAY, Jimmy Kimmel Live!, and Fresh Air. His TED talk has 5 million views. He’s driven by the belief that more time in the kitchen can improve your health, your budget, and the planet.
- Holly HainesHolly Haines is a cookbook author and content creator. She’s passionate about teaching people to love the kitchen through accessible and innovative recipes. She is the author of How to Eat Your Feelings and contributor at Heated Magazine.
- 01IntroductionMeet your host and learn why you should start cooking now.
- 02The bones of cookingDiscover why cooking isn’t complicated.
- 03Playing with flavor profilesLearn how different flavors can change a whole dish.
- 04Three master mealsLearn to cook three foundational meals so you never run out of kitchen inspiration!
- 05The poetry of whole grain breadLearn what good bread really is.
- 06Navigating a broken food systemFind out why it’s so hard to get good, healthy food into your kitchen.
- 07Dreaming of communal kitchensLearn how communal kitchens could fix our broken food system.
- 08What I learned by being (mostly) veganUnderstand why being a part-time vegan could be a good idea for you and the planet.
- 09Taste bud rehabTrain yourself to love the foods that are good for you.
- 10Eating healthy: more plants, less animals, no junk.Learn the simple rules of a good diet.
- 11Should you get that Impossible Burger?Learn why you may want to think twice about those trendy meat substitutes.
- 12Less (and better) meat nowLearn how to choose better animal products.
- 13Meal kitsLearn about the pros, cons, and alternatives to meal planning subscriptions.
- 14Cooking for friends, with Holly HainesReflect on what it means to feed others.
- 15Philosophies of entertaining, with Holly HainesWhat’s your entertaining style?
- 16Cooking for friends: the vegetarians among usFigure out how to cook for guests with dietary restrictions.
- 17Shopping your prioritiesLearn how and why your food priorities can shift.
- 18Ingredients: you probably don't need that fancy olive oilLearn when you should (and shouldn’t) splurge on expensive ingredients.
- 19Organic: yea or nay?Learn if and when you should buy organic.
- 20ConclusionReflect on the cooking and eating lessons you’ve learned so far.
- 21Bonus: The famous no-knead bread recipeMark Bittman shares a famous recipe.