You'll learn how to:
What you'll get
- 7 hours of audio lessons
Start speaking more confidently in just a few hours.
When listening isn’t an option, dig into this text-based PDF.
- Speech-writing guides
Guidelines you can use to become a better writer.
- Speaking self-assessment
Measure your own improvement as an effective communicator.
- Lesson summaries
Be reminded of the key things you’ve learned.
- Curated resources
Save time searching. We’ve collected the best resources for you.
- Glossary of terms
Get up to speed on speaking terminoogy.
- Live event checklist
Ensure your next in-person presentation goes off without a hitch.
- Virtual presentation tips
Best practices to impress any digital audience.
Experts in this course
- Celeste HeadleeCeleste Headlee is a journalist, speaker, and writer who has hosted programs on Georgia Public Radio and NPR. Her TEDx talk, “10 Ways to Have a Better Conversation,” has been viewed by more than 20 million people, and she has given speeches at companies like Twitter, United Airlines, Apple, Ford, and Google.
- Dr. Aziz GazipuraDr. Aziz Gazipura is the founder of the Center For Social Confidence, where he teaches people how to master conversations, accelerate their careers, and create deeply fulfilling relationships. He is the author of three best-selling books, including Not Nice.
- Julian TreasureJulian Treasure is a highly-rated international public speaker on business sound and personal communication skills. His five TED talks have been viewed over 80 million times, and his latest is in the top 10 TED talks of all time. He is the author of the books Sound Business and How To Be Heard.
- Juliana SchroederJuliana Schroeder is a professor in the Management of Organizations group at the Haas School of Business. Juliana’s research examines how people make social judgments and decisions. Her research has been published in a wide range of academic journals and featured by popular media outlets.
- Aaron BeverlyAaron Beverly is the 2019 Toastmasters World Champion of Public Speaking. Through his public speaking career, he has engaged audiences at Fortune 100 companies, notable universities, and numerous countries around the world.
- Vera CarothersVera Carothers is a writer, audio producer, and teaching artist for The Moth. Previously, she traveled the country as a bilingual facilitator with the StoryCorps Mobile Tour. Her audio work has been featured on NPR, WNYC, WAMU, and Panoply.
- Amy LandinoAmy Landino is a bestselling author and award-winning host of AmyTV. With over 20 million views of her successful YouTube series, Amy is a leading authority on getting digital attention.
- LeRon BartonLeRon Barton is a writer, speaker, and author of two books. His TEDx talk on how he overcame his fear of stuttering has reached over 100,000 views. LeRon and his work have appeared in numerous publications, including Al Jazeera, Salon, and Your Tango.
- Marilyn PittmanMarilyn Pittman worked as a talent and voice coach for NPR stations for more than three decades. She is also an award-winning narrator, solo performer, and comic.
- Susan HughesSusan Hughes is a professor of psychology at Albright College in Reading, Pennsylvania and the director of the Evolutionary Studies program at the college. Most of her research is in the field of evolutionary psychology, with an emphasis on the study of the human voice, and it has been featured in many popular media sources.
- Josephine LeeJosephine Lee is an industry-leading entrepreneur and international award winning speaker. In 2016, she won third place in the World Championship of Public Speaking, becoming the first Korean American woman to place on the final stage. Since then, she has given keynote addresses around the world.
- Pellegrino RiccardiPellegrino Riccardi is a cross-cultural expert, motivational speaker, speaker trainer, and communications consultant. For over 30 years, Pellegrino has engaged audiences all over the world with a style of public speaking that presents complex ideas in a simple and accessible way.
- Michelle Tillis LedermanMichelle Tillis Lederman is one of Forbes Top 25 Networking Experts and the author of four books, including the internationally acclaimed The 11 Laws of Likability, and her latest, The Connector’s Advantage. Michelle is a connection creator and CEO of Executive Essentials, which provides customized communications and leadership programs for Fortune 500, non-profit, university, and government clients.
- David LittDavid Litt writes speeches, op-eds, and jokes for Fortune 100 CEOs, professional athletes, leading philanthropists, and prominent political figures. He was a senior presidential speechwriter and special assistant to President Barack Obama and also served as the lead joke-writer for several White House Correspondents’ Dinner monologues.
- Brian MitchellBrian Mitchell is a former Washington Redskins running back and return specialist. After 14 years in the NFL, he began a successful radio and TV career as the co-host of the midday show on Team 980, an Urban One radio station. Brian is also a motivational speaker who addresses audiences across the United States.
- 01IntroductionMeet your host, award-winning journalist, author, and public speaker Celeste Headlee, and preview the lessons you’ll learn from our experts.
- 02Find your confidenceHow to push past the fear of raising your voice.
- 03Know your strengths and weaknessesDetermine how you can improve as a communicator.
- 04Discover the power of your voiceUnderstand why your voice is your most valuable asset—and how to modify it to sound more confident.
- 05Hone your voiceLearn vocal techniques that will improve your delivery.
- 06Overcome speech impedimentsLearn how to speak up if you have a stutter and how to support those who do.
- 07Prepare what you’ll sayUnderstand the elements of a great speech.
- 08Create a story arcLearn why stories captivate our brains and how to tell a good one.
- 09Rehearse intentionallyDetermine your personal memorization and rehearsal strategy.
- 10Adopt a comfortable physical presenceLearn how to use your body during a presentation.
- 11Perfect your deliveryConnect with your audience and ensure your speech runs smoothly.
- 12Digital presentationsDiscover what changes when you present through a screen.
- 13Better conversationsUnderstand what makes a great conversation—and what can kill it.
- 14Conquer difficult conversationsHow to handle tough talks.
- 15Business conversationsLearn how to master your next job interview or networking event.
- 16Communicate across culturesDiscover which communication skills are universal and which can get lost in translation.
- 17Improve your skillsHow to progress once you've got the basics down.